Business Strategy Question #10: What are willing to invest?
Your business strategy…your big picture view of how YOUR business works…is an essential step in creating a business that supports the lifestyle YOU want to create and the lives you want to transform.
This is Question # 10 in a 10 question series of what to ask, and answer, before you choose your business model, decide what programs and products you want to create and how you launch yourself in the world.
If you haven’t answered questions #1-9, I definitely recommend answering those first, then popping back here to answer this one. Answering the questions in this order helps you get more clarity.
Yup, you’re gonna be doing some investin’ Lucy!
Whether you’re investing your time, your money, your heart, your ego and, potentially those of other people, getting clear on where you draw the line on the investment is an essential part of knowing when to hold ’em and when to fold ’em.
Because it is ever so easy to say
- oh, this is only $7 (will you use it? If not, it isn’t worth the $7)…
- well, I’d better invest in this class on 23rd century tactics because I might need it (I promise you, there will be another tactic in the next 5 minutes)…
- hum, I’ll spend just a little more time learning how to create a WordPress site then I’ll spend time with my honey (will honey still be there?)…
- well, I’ll skip my kid’s recital, there will be another one and I absolutely HAVE to get this sales page done today (promise, no sales page is worth missing those special moments)…
- well, I’ll stick with it another 6 months, then decide whether to get a job (even tho’ the credit cards can be heard groanin’ from a mile away and the payments are due tomorrow)
- …and on it goes
So what ARE willing to invest?
- How much time are you willing to spend learning that “sumfin” you heard you had to do?
- Is it really cheaper for you to do “it” yourself when there may be a set of willing hands at the local high school or college?
- Have you created a budget you can live with that doesn’t take everything you love away from you?
- Have you calculated the cost to you? Your family? Your partner? Are they “all in” or do they feel you’re neglecting them?
- How many training classes are you going to invest in?
- What about the hardware and software you need to run your business?
- Have you calculated the costs of insurance? Legal fees? Accounting whizzes?
- What else are you giving up to run a business?
Yup, there are many kinds of expenses
One of the biggest shocks many new business owners face is the sheer number of out-of-pocket expenses involved in running a business, even one you’re bootstrapping by doing a lot of things yourself or finding “free” tools (believe me, some of them aren’t worth what you pay for them!). And then there are the costs we didn’t expect…like it taking 3-4 times as long to do something as we estimated or missing special events that we didn’t think were “that” special.
And the more of that you think through at the beginning, the less this stuff bites you in the butt and takes a big chunk of your self esteem and your buckeroonies.
Years ago I served as a mentor to students in the Technical Communications program at a local university.
And that’s what I say to you too.
I tell it like it is (or at least how I’ve experienced this 25 years of business ownership stuff). I share all the mistakes and all the successes and all the lessons learned.
And I do it truthfully and directly, often with Tuff Luv, so you can make a truly informed choice about what you want to do.
And you can succeed. By YOUR definition.
And with a clear-headed approach to living the lifestyle you want.
Please share what you’ve learned
You made it through all 10 questions! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m so proud you I’d better pin these dancing feet to the floor and finish this post.
With these questions answered, the next thing is to get clear on the business model you want use…and remember, there is NO one-size-fits all solution. There is the solution that is right for you!
Please don’t let technology and business stuff hold you back…that’s “just stuff” that can be handed off to someone else (me, pick me!), learned in a class or dropped by the wayside in favor of something more do-able, for you.
may your day be igKnighted with passionately powerful possibilities!
P.S. Need a hand getting clear on this? Oh, I would love to help you succeed by asking you a bunch of questions that helps you move forward. How about we get you started by scheduling your complimentary Tame TheBeasties: Get Kick-Ass Clarity rendezvous. Yes, it does cost you 24 minutes of your day and I respect that, and you.