Business Strategy Question #07: What is your secret sauce?
Your business strategy…your big picture view of how YOUR business works…is an essential step in creating a business that supports the lifestyle YOU want to create and the lives you want to transform.
This is Question #4 in a 10 question series of what to ask, and answer, before you choose your business model, decide what programs and products you want to create and how you launch yourself in the world.
If you haven’t answered questions #1-6, I definitely recommend answering those first, then popping back here to answer this one. Answering the questions in this order helps you get more clarity.
What IS a secret sauce?
Ever eaten a super nummee dish that had you craving it, wanting it, 24/7?
You’d do almost anything to get hold of the recipe, no matter how far you have to travel to get the extra super special ingredient or how much it costs.
So you screw up your courage, take a deep breath, and ask the chef “Hey there, this is the most delicious dish. I want to make it at home so I can have it any time I want it, not just when I’m visiting this beautiful resort.”
The chef looks at you with a look that says “are you friggin’ out of your mind?” and says, in her most snooty voice
“This is an ancient family recipe and there are only 2 people in the world who know it. It’s our secret sauce and it’s not for sale or sharing, at ANY price.”
Slam. Ouch. Crap.
Now what? Do you try to mimic it? Give up?
Grab a black ski mask and sneak into the safe at night?
Yeah, all those are possible.
OK, wacky one, what’s this got to do with MY secret sauce?
I mean when you think about it, a secret sauce is “secret” because someone knows about it and you don’t. Not so mysterious after all?
The thing is, YOU have a secret sauce too. It may not be for the family curry recipe. Or the meatloaf your mom made that brings back childhood memories.
You DO have a secret sauce that is part of what you bring to the world, part of the transformation you, and ONLY you, can share with the world. Like that special ingredient from the chef, you don’t necessarily have to tell others WHAT it is and I promise you, it is part of everything you are and do.
- Maybe it is the specific life path you’ve followed that gives you empathy for a particular group of people…
- Or maybe it is a life challenge that really kicked your ass, yet you learned from it and have a special way of bouncing back from that challenge…
- Maybe there is something in your culture or training that helps you look at things differently precisely because the experience was so tough or painful…
- Maybe you’ve got an eclectic background that you uniquely combine to bring a fresh look at how things can be done….
- Or you’re a whiz bang photographer who can make people who HATE being on camera shine…
- Or you can explain techie stuff in a way that makes it not so jaw-droppingly painful to learn…
So what is YOUR secret sauce?
This one was a tuffie for me when a coach took me through this exercise. I really didn’t think I had any secret sauce or anything special. Why?
Because the things that are my secret sauce come so naturally to me and have “crept up on me” over 40 years in the business world. They’ve been a tidbit picked up from someone else (so that doesn’t count as a secret sauce, right). They’ve been an insight that came while working on a consulting project or an “ah ha” moment that popped in, unbidden, to make something easier.
The only way I figured out what my secret sauce was by working with a coach, who kept exclaiming “you know how to do THAT? Really?” or “Say what, you can find 48 information products from ONE video? How the hell!”
See, to me, I was just doin’ what came naturally. By training. By personality.
By who I am.
And that is the secret to finding YOUR secret sauce.
You look for the things you…
- do so automatically and easily it wouldn’t occur to you that they’re special or secret
- loved to do as a kid (especially those ones that you may have been discouraged from doing or dissed for (mine were talking and learning too quickly!)
- get kudos on and wonder “why” when it comes as naturally as breathing to you
- find easy to learn and teach to others
- feel aren’t important becaues they’re “just” a little thing, what I call a TeenyTinyTip™
(I chuckle each time I tell someone how to enlarge the type on their screen by pressing CTRL and the plus key…I do it so often and without thinking that it seems too tiny to matter)
- love to do, endlessly and with joy, no matter what else is waiting for your attention and who you promised to be there “in 5 minutes honey”
- feel are right and “should” be part of how everyone does everything
- find piss you off about how others are doing “it” and you wonder why the hell they haven’t been “found it” for the BS they’re spewing
- are passionate about changing because of something that happened in your life or your career
You DO have a secret sauce that can be the foundation of how you create a business that supports your lifestyle.
You DO have a secret ingredient that someone really truly needs in order to go on with their next do-able step.
Yup, you ARE that special. You DO have something to special to offer someone in this world.
So jump in and discover that secret sauce of yours and let’s get it out to the people who are waiting for you to realize it!
That’s what I do for the service providers with a big message and not a clue how to run a business or use technology. I…
- tease out that specialness by coaching you to look inside and answer these questions
- use my intuition, empathy and healing gifts to move those negative words, stories and mindset out of the way so you can succeed
- use my consulting background to shape the business model that suits you perfectly
- discover the technology that makes life easier for you and let’s you focus on what you do best
- package that secret sauce into recipes (OK, products and services…how boring a term, eh?) that others can learn from and enjoy
- connect you with others who do things well that I don’t
- and, most of all, be the person who cares so much about you’ll, I’ll take on your fears and worries and love you anyway, even if it means a swift kick in the ass to do it!
(one of my clients said “jeez, are you always this relentless about people seeing the good in themselves?” The answer? Hell yes!)
It would be my honor to collaborate with you to find your voice, share your message and transform this world. Grab your complimentary “Tame TheBeasties” rendezvous and let’s get you loving life and business again!
We can do this. Together. Promise.
I would love to hear how answering this question solidified, or maybe changed, your perspective on what you do and what you bring to the world. Remember, there are folks who don’t know what you know, even if you think it is a teeny tiny sumfin or ‘nother.
Please don’t let technology and business stuff hold you back…that’s “just stuff” that can be handed off to someone else (me, pick me!), learned in a class or dropped by the wayside in favor of something more do-able, for you.
may your day be igKnighted with passionately powerful possibilities!
P.S. Need a hand getting clear on this? Oh, I would love to help you succeed by asking you a bunch of questions that helps you move forward. How about we get you started by scheduling your complimentary Tame TheBeasties: Get Kick-Ass Clarity rendezvous. Yes, it does cost you 24 minutes of your day and I respect that, and you.